Welcome to the blog of the City of Vancouver Archives.
We plan to share information about our activities, highlight parts of our diverse holdings and introduce you to some of the people who work, intern, volunteer and research here.
Our interests are:
- Traditional archival practice. We apply this to both City and private-sector records in our holdings.
- Open government. We are the City’s official repository for its records of long-term value, and we allow anyone to view almost everything, for free.
- Digital archives. As part of an international collaboration, we’re developing an open-source preservation system for our digital holdings. It’s cutting-edge work.
- Preservation. We have an active preservation program that includes a lab, and we will take you behind the scenes.
- You. Researchers, donors, volunteers, citizens. We appreciate your contributions.
2011 is Vancouver’s 125th birthday year. We have many special projects planned—there’s no better time to start a blog.